sunny days mini quilt
- Acrylic felt, two 9" x 12" pieces
- Scraps of yellow felt
- Fabric scraps totaling 1/4 yd., including linen fabric
- Sizzix Die Cut Machine and Tim Holtz Alterations Tattered Florals Die
- 1/4 yd. fusible web
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac, embroidery needle and floss (coordinating with fabric colors), disappearing fabric marker, iron and ironing surface, medium (two) and small (one) felt balls (coordinating with fabric colors), needle-felting machine or needle-felting tool*, pencil, pins, scissors, scrap of lace, sewing machine and thread (to match fabric)
*Designer used a needle-felting machine to save time, but a needle- felting tool will work just as well; it will just take longer.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, apply fusible web to two fabrics measuring
5-1/2” x 6”. Cut two 5-1/2” x 6” pieces from felt. Remove film from fusible web and fuse fabric to felt.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions and using Tattered Florals Die, cut two sets of flowers from step 1.
- Die cut two sets from yellow felt flowers.
- Cut or tear strips and squares from various fabrics and pin fabric pieces to felt base.
- Using needle-felting machine or needle-felting tool, needle-felt fabric pieces to felt, removing pins as fabric is secured to base (no machine stitching necessary). The fabric pieces will lock and secure to felt. Completely cover base with fabric.
- Repeat step 1, applying fusible web to stem and leaf fabrics. Trace stem and leaf pattern onto paper side of fusible web-backed fabric. Cut out on traced lines, then remove paper backing.
- Referring to color photo, fuse leaves and stem onto needlefelted fabric base. Using a straight machine stitch, topstitch over leaves and stem, 1/8” from raw edge.
- Referring to color photo, layer die-cut flowers and secure with Fabri-Tac.
- Cut felt balls in half and adhere one to each flower center. Adhere layered flowers to top of each stem on fabric base.
- Using fabric marker, write “Spring” and “Flowers” onto scrap linen fabric.
- Using a back stitch and three strands of floss, embroider words onto linen pieces.
- Machine stitch “Spring” embroidered linen piece to top of base.
- Machine stitch lace scrap to base, then machine stitch “Flowers” embroidered linen sides over lace scrap.
- Adhere small layered flower and ball to base (refer to color photo).
- Using a decorative machine stitch, sew around quilt.