chocolate amaretto cake
|cake||frosting and garnish:|
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Grease an 8” – 9” springform pan.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips, stirring until smooth; set aside.
- With a mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add egg yolks, vanilla, and salt.
- Mix in melted chocolate.
- Add flour, milk, and almonds and mix well.
- In a separate, clean bowl, and with clean beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into chocolate batter.
- Spread into greased pan; it will be a thin layer.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until you can touch the center with your finger and leave no imprint.
- Cool for 10 – 15 minutes then remove from pan and cool completely.
- Place cake on serving platter.
- Brush top of cake with Amaretto, if using, and allow it to sink in while making frosting.
- Beat butter until soft and fluffy. Add confectionary sugar, salt, and extracts. Beat well.
- Drizzle in little bits of milk, while machine is running, until frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Frost top, and if desired, sides of cake.
- Melt unsweetened chocolate and semisweet chocolate chips and drizzle much of the melted chocolate over frosted cake.
- Dip wide end of whole almonds into remaining melted chocolate and place directly onto edge of cake.